Optional

Sperm - Semen



Sperm present in semen (microscope image)

What is sperm

Sperm or semen is an organic fluid produced by males of various animal species, including humans, that contains sperm and other secretions.

This fluid carries between 60 and 300 million sperm (depending on the duration of previous abstinence). To fertilize the egg the sperm must contain more than 20 million sperms per ml.

The first part of ejaculation is the secretion of Cowper and Littré glands, which is not abundant and rich in mucoproteins. The second part contains the prostatic secretion (13% to 33% of the total volume). The third part is the secretion of the vas deferens, epididymis and seminal tubes, in which most sperm travel. The fourth and last part is the secretion of seminal vesicles (46% to 80% of volume), rich in nutrients for sperm.

Semen may be infertile because it contains insufficient sperm for egg fertilization, excessive proportion of aberrant forms or less than normal mobility. Anomalies of testicular function may be due to hormonal changes, testicular disease, chickenpox, chronic liver or kidney failure, neurological diseases, or failure to transport sperm that may occur due to congenital or acquired obstructions.

Sperm chart

Sperm is a laboratory test that analyzes the composition and physical condition of human semen.