Black Beans: Potassium Rich Food
Potassium is a mineral of extreme importance for the proper functioning of the human body. It is found in many animal and plant foods.
Functions and importance in the human body:
- Acts in the balance and distribution of water in the body;
- acts on muscle relaxation;
- Acting in maintaining acid-base balance;
- Participates in the processes of regulation of neuromuscular activities.
Major health problems and diseases caused by lack of potassium in the body:
- Abdominal distension;
- Cramps (severe muscle pain);
- Decreased reflexes;
- Dyspnea (also known as shortness of breath);
- Tingling sensation in the skin;
- dilation of the heart;
- Changes in heartbeat frequency (heart arrhythmia).
Major health problems and diseases caused by excess potassium in the body:
- heart disorders;
- Changes in muscle movements;
- Mental confusion.
It is found in the following sources:
- Black bean
- Butter bean
- Silver banana
- Water Banana
- Cow milk
- Chicken's egg
- Green pepper
Potassium absorption by the body occurs in the small intestine. Potassium is excreted through sweat, urine and feces.